Monday, November 07, 2005

Cynicism...

My sister wrote to me, very upset, telling me what her supervisor said to her today:

My manager called me "cynical".

Why she called me that is because I am not all excited about the work I have accomplished.

But that is me.

Sorry people!

I guess that makes me cynical.

Write me about your thoughts…

So, this is what I wrote to her:

Well, let’s see…What does “cynical” mean first of all??

cyn·i·cal (sĭn'ĭ-kəl) pronunciation
adj.

  1. Believing or showing the belief that people are motivated chiefly by base or selfish concerns; skeptical of the motives of others: a cynical dismissal of the politician's promise to reform the campaign finance system.
  2. Selfishly or callously calculating: showed a cynical disregard for the safety of his troops in his efforts to advance his reputation.
  3. Negative or pessimistic, as from world-weariness: a cynical view of the average voter's intelligence.
  4. Expressing jaded or scornful skepticism or negativity: cynical laughter.

cyn'i·cal·ly adv.
cyn'i·cal·ness n.

Ok, well I suppose that maybe #3 and #4 could somehow apply to you. But what’s the big deal?

I think that you are more “cautious” than “cynical”, you can tell her from me. And why are you cautious? You have life experience that’s makes you that way.

You are not going to get all whooped up about your sales/contracts yet, because let’s face it, it is not enough for you to live on yet, is it? You are no where near the point you want to be.

People who get all whooped up about a small victory will crash hard when they have a little plateau, and become discouraged and then fail.

People like you, who give yourself a little smile in your bathroom mirror and say a prayer that things keep moving in a straight and upwardly motion, will more likely not collapse when you hit a snag, and will just shrug it off and keep moving!!

You’re the one I’d rather be, sis!!!

Keep up the good work!!


Each today, well-lived, makes yesterday a dream of happiness and each tomorrow a vision of hope. Look, therefore, to this one day, for it and it alone is life. -- Sanskrit Proverb

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission. --Eleanor Roosevelt

"Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through
experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened,
ambition inspired, and success achieved." ---Helen Keller
 



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home